Why do I need color correction in video clips?
Color correction is giving a video clip a “commodity” kind. The illumination, between frames, contrast and color is equalized. There are 2 main directions for color correction:
- Color correcting – exists in order to align the scenes with illumination and smooth out all protrusions in the scenes. This is the so-called basic correction. As the only correction, it can be suitable for documentaries, TV shows and chronicles.
- Color grading is a more creative correction that is used in movies, music videos and commercials. Here, any changes in colors and shades are allowed. Sometimes colors change radically and the video sequence acquires new creative meanings.
What affects the color in your video?
Before discussing postproduction, let’s look at the main points that affect the final color and light in the video clip. In fact, all your color and light you lay down when shooting, so on the computer monitor, these colors are improved, and not created. If the footage was created weak, then even the most professional colorist will not be able to help.
- Location. The most important factor in preparing for a good “picture” is a beautiful location. The more professional the film crew, the more accurately it will be able to emphasize the right mood. Work on locating a location is conducted by a locksmith, and the artist creates or transforms the location. Surely you could watch as in movies, clips and commercials – color solutions are being worked out. From the battery and the walls to the chandelier in the frame, everything is adjusted to the task.
- Shine. The second most important is lighting. Thanks to lighting, you can show the character of the scene or the hero. Illumination is covered by a gopher with illuminators. Light is divided into artificial, natural and combined. With the advent of new technologies, the so-called variants of light drawings have grown to infinity. New solutions can be created thanks to LED backlights, decorating in any manner.
- Clothing characters in the frame and appearance. If the dresser correctly picked up the appearance of the hero, then you get a cool result. This point intersects with the location, so, depending on the task, the hero either merges, or vice versa contrasts with the scenery and backgrounds.
- Shooting equipment. One of the main factors why it is better to shoot on professional cinema technique is the dynamic range and RAW format. A good dynamic range is in fact the ability of the matrix to transmit subtle details of light and color. RAW format (raw format) with its own settings, allows you to get a flexible ability to work with color and light at the stage of working with the material. Unlike amateur cameras with their formats, where you can not actually affect the color, there is a wide field for creative incarnations.
What gives color correction?
Color grading or so-called artistic color correction is an important tool for emphasizing and conveying the right emotions to the viewer. It is used not only in movies, but also in promotional promos, image videos, presentation films and others. Let’s analyze the main properties:
- Highlights important details or objects against the background of the location, making them expressive.
- Shades and highlights the faces of people in the frame.
- It sets the right mood in the scene, joy and sadness can be emphasized by different color solutions.
What determines the budget of color correction?
The budget depends on the timing of the video. From the frequency of the appearance of frames on the screen. From the difference in the technical characteristics of the staff, the more the frames differ among themselves, the harder it is to make them one. Frames taken at different times in different places, with different lighting – take more time to work.