What is a focus group?
Focus group for an advertising video is a method of gathering a special audience in a small group to discuss the task. The method usually consists of in-depth study of the views of the focus group member on various issues. The opinions of man are exclusively subjective.
Compliance with the rules for conducting a focus group
When you are recruited into a group, the same requirements apply to all participants. All queries to focus group members are as follows:
- A person should not have a previous experience of participating in such studies.
- He should not be familiar with the rest of the group.
- He must fall by age and status to the necessary characteristics of the study.
- Awareness of the participant in the studied issue should be at the maximum level. The participant should give a
- detailed answer on all questions, based on personal experience.
- The number of participants from 7 to 12 people.
Preparing for focus group
According to the criteria that are described above, the administrator selects the right people. Usually the characteristics are reduced to sex, age and experience in the right sphere. At an earlier stage, the topics for study are identified. After solving all issues, household issues related to logistics, place and time are solved.
Main objectives of the focus groups
- Identify the knowledge of potential customers about a particular product, development.
- Identify for themselves how the audience communicates, what words they use on the topic that is necessary for us.
- To test the reaction of people to the products or services being examined.
- Learn people’s opinions about your hypotheses and assumptions.
- Find out which products a person usually chooses.
Why focus groups are useless?
If you have a task to find out what kind of products people consume or what music they listen to, it’s in vain. After all, the focus group for the commercial – does not solve this problem. Marketers and people of science write in their books – a person is peculiar to embellish their reality.
- If you ask the interviewee “which music do you prefer?”, He will answer classical. Although in fact in the playlist he can be found from the chanson to the stage of the 80’s.
- It also happens, for example, with products. On the question “What kind of pasta do you buy” – will answer “Italian”. In fact, there will be something in between instant noodles and domestic pasta.
Do not rely on direct answers. Because people always want to look in a better light than they really are. For example, some people say directly: “Advertising does not work for me.” But if it were true, then advertising as such did not exist.
Why focus group are not objective?
In no case can you seriously take interest or any figures concluded after the focus groups. For example, 2 out of 10 people said that they only buy premium cheeses. And after that comes the conclusion that 20% of people choose the premium segment. The fact that they can embellish reality is understandable and described in the paragraph above. But the most important here is the lack of sociological objectivity. Therefore, such interest and data are not worthy of attention. Objective figures can begin at least from 1000 people interviewed.
Conclusions on focus groups
- It is important to remember that it is wrong to completely rely in all of your conclusions on the focus group.
- You can soon get some explanations for yourself or you can dispel your myths. Ordinary people will help you understand the attitude of a typical consumer facing a choice.
- Due to the free format of the focus group – you can get quite frank thoughts from people.
- Do not judge the percentage ratio of the entire market for 10-12 people, this is fundamentally not true.
- Remember that people who participate in a conversation can seem better than they really are.
- Focus group for the commercial – helps to learn the vocabulary of people in the context of the topic you need.